Thursday, February 14, 2008

2008 is the Year of the Rat in the Chinese Lunar Calendar


Waahh, can't believe it that today is the 8th day of the Chinese New Year already.
This Chinese New Year is much more meaningful for me as I could participate in the events taking place.
CNY Eve:
As usual, the eve of CNY was spent at Grand-Uncle and Grand-Auntie's place together with my Great-Grandpa. It was kinda boring as there were no one there to play with me - except for my 9 year old Uncle, but he too is too adult for me.
However, Mummy decided to take me to Nen-ngu's house this year - and yay, there are Khor-khor and Cheh-chehs there (and not forgetting their big box of toys which I could rummage through freely) ... oh, oh my Ee-Ee will also be there too !! Hooray :D
But Papa decided to leave after an hour and I was throwing a trantrum to have to leave so early. However, Mah-mah says that I can come back on the next day which is the 1st day of the new year ... huumph !
1st day of the Chinese New Year:
Saw Papa and Mummy taking me back to Grand-Uncle and Grand-Auntie's place to serve tea to Great-Grandpa. Apparently that is the tradition they keep for the younger generation.
Then we went to Nen-ngu's house for lunch ...
2nd day of Chinese New Year:
As there was no where to eat, we plonked ourselves at Nen-ngu's house again with anticipation of good food cooked by Mah-mah ... heh, heh.
3rd day of Chinese New Year:
Ahh, Nen-ngu treated us all to a very nice sumptous Chinese Dinner at a restaurant. It was sooo noisy and boisterous that I couldn't wait to get out of there ... funny isn't it that the Chinese love such a setting for their meals ??
Hmm, what was served in the menu ?
1) Yee Sang
2) Shark's Fin Soup
3) Roasted Chicken
4) Toufu + Gourd
5) Steamed Fish
6) Marmite Prawns
7) Mixed Vegetables + Oyster
8) Lap Cheong Steamed Rice + Waxed Duck
9) Longan + Sea Coconut Desserts
10) Blackbean Buns
And I only enjoyed the Shark's Fin Soup, the rest are just too advanced for me.
7th day of Chinese New Year (yesterday):
The 7th Day of the New Year is called "everybody’s birthday" as everyone is considered a year older as of that date. (In traditional China, individual birthdays were not considered as important as the New Year’s date. Everyone added a year to his/her age at New Year’s time rather than at his/her birthday.)
8th day of Chinese New Year (today):
This day is especially important to the Hokkien and Teochew speaking community. Come midnight of the 8th day of the new year, the Hokkiens and Teochews will offer thanks giving prayers to the Emperor of Heaven. Offerings will include sugarcane as it was the sugarcane that had protected the Hokkiens from certain extermination generations ago. Such is what legend says.
Lord Jesus, Mummy says to give thanks to you for protecting me at this period of time. Please bless me with your blessings and protection. Amen !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and your neng-ngu thinks you are absolutely cute! :)