Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dumpling Festival - 16 June 2010


Tomorrow the 16 June, 2010 is the Dumpling Festival (which also represents the 5th day of the 5th month of the Chinese calendar).

The Chinese community will celebrate it with rice dumplings (also known as bak-chang) which is glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves, or other large leaves like lotus leaves. One can find different fillings in the dumpling like pork, roast pork, chestnut, egg, salted egg, mushroom, red or white beans, or just simply plain without any filling. The rice could be just white or brown which is pre-fried with soya sauce.

I spent today with Khong-khong and Mah-mah and they took me to the wet market. They took me round to look for my attraction - Pigeons !

To my delight, Neng-ngu and Neng-nging were on leave and later in the afternoon, they took me "walk-walk" together with Khor-khor, Cheh-chehs, Kakak and Mah-mah. I was allowed to run free and wild at the indoor play park ... of which Neng-ngu said had Mummy been with me, she would forbid me from doing that. Heh! Heh! ... the benefits of "temporary freedom"

Happy Bak-Chang Festival everyone !

You can read more about the dumpling festival here:
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2010/6/15/central/6463899&sec=central
http://foodismylife.wordpress.com/2008/06/08/the-dumpling-festival/

No comments: